As an American Apple Pie
One Michele T. Fillion in our life is the Pie Queen. Any baked item, for that matter.
Here is the definitive recipe for Apple Pie.
Secret: She follows the recipe in the Joy of Cooking exactly. But ... for the shortening element — good butcher rendered Lard. (Do it yourself. Or, from an Italian Pork Store or Polish butcher. Not the packaged bland supermarket kind. )
[Exactly as presented in the Joy of Cooking — "Pie Dough Cockaigne"]
1. Sift together ...
— 2.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
— 2 tsp. Sugar
— 1 tsp. Salt
2. Add ...
— 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted Butter
— 1/4 Cup chilled shortening*
*MTF uses rendered Lard. (Not the supermarket kind, but from a real butcher.)
3. Cut in half of the shortenings, then the remainder. Dough should become crumbly pea sized.
4. Sprinkle with 6 Tbsp. ice Water. (More if necessary for ingredients to hold.)
5. Divide in two, shape into a disks. Wrap with plastic. Refrigerate.
6. Roll out chilled Dough and assemble pie**.
** If making something like an Apple Dumpling, roll out a portion of Dough large enough to wrap peeled and cored whole Apple. Follow directions for additions to the filling as below.
For 9" Pie pan. (Again, Joy of Cooking.)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Combine ...
— 2.5 Pounds crisp tart Apples, peeled and sliced; 5-6 large. (Rome is at the top of the list. Or, mix 'em up.)
— 3/4 Cup Sugar
— 2-3 Tbsp. Flour (to thicken juices)
— 1 Tbsp. fresh Lemon juice
— 1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
— 1/8 tsp. Salt
TIP: Add Apple slices to bowl with Lemon juice to prevent slice from browning.
3. Let stand for 15 minutes to soften Apples.
4. Evenly pour into pan lined with bottom crust.
5. Dot with 2 Tbsp. unsalted Butter.
6. Place top crust. Crimp edges. Cut slit in center for steam to escape.
7. Dust top with 2 tsp. Sugar and 1/8 tsp. of ground Cinnamon.
8. Place Pie on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 425° F, then turn oven down to 350° F for 30-45 minutes until pie is done, and juices are bubbling.
9. Let baked Pie cool for 1/2 to 1 hour before serving.